Recipe: Backyard Burgers with Grape Jelly Caramelized Onions
Adding the sweetness of Welch’s Grape Jelly to your caramelized onions is a clever way kick up the flavor on this BBQ classic. As we head into a summer full of warm weather and family gatherings, it’s the perfect time to give this backyard barbecue recipe a try.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 50 min
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 pinch dried red chili flakes
- 3 tbsp Welch’s Concord Grape Jelly
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- Optional garnishes: romaine lettuce and tomato
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook low and slow for 25 minutes. Once the onions are very soft, stir in thyme, chili flakes, Welch’s Concord Grape Jelly, stock, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes or until liquid has mostly evaporated.
- For the burgers, gently combine ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper. Divide and shape the mixture into 4 x 3/4–inch patties. Using your knuckles, make a shallow depression in the center of each patty.
- Preheat a lightly oiled grill to medium-high heat. Grill the burgers for 8 minutes per side or until completely cooked through. Transfer onto buns with optional garnishes and top with a spoonful of caramelized onions.
Recipe and photo originally featured on Welchs.com.
For more recipes, please visit our blog. Also, if you make any of our recipes, please show us by tagging us @chefsbest on all social media platforms.