Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Tomatoes
Filled with a delicious ricotta and herb mixture, and wrapped in savory bacon, these incredible stuffed tomatoes will be the star of any dinner party. Featuring ChefsBest’s award-winning Red Gold Whole Peeled Tomatoes, these bacon wrapped stuffed tomatoes are extremely easy to make and are sure WOW just about anyone.
- 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Whole Peeled Tomatoes, or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Whole Peeled Tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups low fat ricotta cheese
- 4 slices bacon, halved
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey, or maple syrup
- 4 brochette skewers or 8-10 wooden or metal kebab skewers
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Neatly trim the stem-end of the whole peeled tomatoes and clean out the tomato center. Chop the stem-ends and reserve. Stand the tomatoes on a rack with the open side draining.
- If the skewers are wooden, soak for 15 minutes in cold water. In a large bowl place the chopped tomato ends, ricotta cheese, parsley, basil, garlic and egg. Mix well until smooth. Place in a large plastic sandwich bag trimming a corner for a hole or use a pastry bag. Refrigerate or use immediately.
- Stuff the tomatoes evenly until plump with the ricotta mix. Clean the opening with a towel. Refrigerate, if possible, before wrapping with bacon. Wrap each with bacon half and stick with a skewer. Set a roasting rack on a baking sheet and place the tomatoes seam side down.
- Roast the bacon wrapped tomatoes about 20 minutes.; As bacon cooks, the cheese mixture will firm up the tomato. Turn and continue to roast another 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Allow to cool before serving.
- Plate serving is two skewers per person. Drizzle lightly with honey. Serve separately or on top of a summer salad.
To learn more about Red Gold Whole Peeled Tomatoes, and to view the full recipe, visit redgoldtomatoes.com.